On 24 June 2016, LSC London alum, Oscar Bimpong (MBA, 2014) delivered a talk to a packed room of final semester MBA students. The focus of the session was on managing expectations and exposing the realities of life after graduation, highly appropriate themes for the cohort of students he was addressing. This was delivered as part of a new International Final Year Students’ Symposium developed by Oscar’s training and consultancy firm, Train2inspire Consultancy (http://www.train2inspireconsultancy.com/).
Some takeaway points from his inspirational session included the following:
- Education is not a guarantee to success but it’s just a platform for success to grow
- Making it in life takes hard work, focus, determination
- Life has ups and downs, it’s about how you manage it
- Failure is part of the journey: fix your challenges, your problems and move forward
- It’s not just about hard work, it’s about networks too. So start connecting.
- Most of the time, people know your weakness but not your strength. So hold on to your strengths and prove them wrong.
- If you don’t know where you’re going, then any road will take you there
- Consistency – persistence is one of the powerful tools to overcome failure in life
- What is happening today is not our future. Our past is not our future. Today is the only way we can make a different future for ourselves.
- Some colleagues will be successful from day one. Others will develop and build success over time.
- Mistakes are bound to happen in the journey of success. For some, there will be challenges.
- If you’re not doing anything about your dreams, then stop wishing
- Open your mind to possibilities and opportunities. Don’t focus too much on your niche
- Keep learning, the world is changing
His session was lively and engaging and extremely well received by all who attended. A video of the session is available here https://youtu.be/62-niCd_rKc and Oscar can be contacted at email@example.com